George Theall on 2 Aug 2004 19:17:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] BIND zone oddity causing SendMail 451 Name server timeout errors?

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 11:56:34AM -0400, kaze wrote:

> Could you share
> with us where / how you found this info; both want to read more about it and
> want to glean searching/troubleshooting skills - did you just go to the
> RFCs?

I worked for a number of years as a mail administrator so a lot of it
was learned from the job.

In this case, one of the first things I did, once I had real info, was
run "sendmail -d8.8 -bv postmaster@hostedexample.com", which showed me
how sendmail would try to deliver mail to hostedexample.com, with a
trace of some lookups. When that showed a failure to get the A record, it
was time for dig and then a google for '"CISCO NAT" DNS'.

> (I guess my subject line was right though.) -Zake

Except that there was nothing wrong with your bind zones; it was your
Cisco device getting in the way of things.

George
--
theall@tifaware.com