George Theall on 4 Aug 2004 14:04:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] mail question

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 10:57:44PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 10:36:11PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> > Any thoughts what might be happening and what I can do?

I routinely send to people on Verizon and find messages stuck in
sendmail's outgoing queue.  Whenever I look, the reason is an inability
of their MailPass SMTP server to connect to some other machine on their
network; eg, errors such as "Deferred: 421 sc010pub.verizon.net lost
connection(mta002.verizon.net)".  Since some messages do go through
relatively quickly, I attribute this to a problem with capacity.  That
is, they probably haven't dedicated enough CPU cycles at the spam
identification problem.

If I were worried about this, I would probably set up a separate queue
for Verizon and process it more frequently.  Either that or urge
recipients to set up email accounts with other services.

> Verizon is hopeless - they do all sorts of broken things in an attempt
> to slow the influx of spam, and one of their many tactics is to just
> randomly defer email, it seems.

What's the line...  "Never attribute to malice that which can be
adequately explained by stupidity."

George
--
theall@tifaware.com