Art Alexion on 11 Aug 2004 19:00:04 -0000

[PLUG] update strategies/partition issue

I have been using RH 7.3. It' s been stable and fine but is starting to show its age vis-a-vie stuff I' d like to try but can't without a newer distro. (Newest frustration is installing gnucash; can't install newest and distro version fails dependencies because the dependencies are newer than it expects.)

I have Mandrake 9.1, Slackware 9.1, Suse 9 (a live eval CD; don't know whether it will install to the HD), but want to try the hardware optimized version of Gentoo (need to download).

I have never updated the same machine with a new distro (only fresh installs). I only have 3 partitions: /, /boot and /swap. Is there anyway to update without loosing home directories, /opt stuff, etc.?

--

art Alexion