eric@lucii.org on 19 Aug 2004 03:08:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Booting/disk "problem"?

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 10:45:10PM -0400, sean finney wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 04:43:28PM -0400, eric@lucii.org wrote:
> >      On the p6 partition, the is only: /bin, /boot, /home, /proc,
> >      /usr and /var Since boot, home, usr, and var are mount points, they
> >      are empty.  There are a number of files in the bin directory
> >      including one called "all.tar" which is 122 MB and is truncated.
> >      The tar file was created about the last time that the machine was
> >      known to be working.
>
> can anyone attest to the origin of the all.tar?  how about anything
> interesting in the logs, or perhaps truncated logs in /var?  is there
> a loghost? can you get a table of contents from the tar file?
> process accounting?  if there's anything that will help you, it'll
> probably be in that /var partition.
>
> perhaps i'm a bit too paranoid, but my first assumption in a case like
> this is usually that the machine is hacked.  it doesn't help much
> that it was running redhat 8...
>

> 	sean

Well, there were two people from two different companies ssh'ed into the
box working on the same application... that's what the all.tar contains.
I have run "tar -tvf all.tar" which is why I know it's truncated.

/var/log/messages is sparse and of no use.  What is a "loghost"?  I will
have to dig into /var more carefully.  I'm dissapointed that the /root
partition is gone... would like to see the .bash_history :-)

Hacked is very unlikely... but not impossible, of course.  It's inside a
company network and has limited outside access (none, AFAIK, from
connections initiated from the outside.)

--
#  Eric Lucas
#     "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth