Paul on 21 Aug 2004 07:58:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] UPS, 2s failures

William H. Magill wrote:

The dryer is a big "sucker" 1875 watts!

Oops. The dryer would overload my UPS. The 500VA UPS can only handle 300W, assuming a power factor of 0.6.

As I said, power is a fun topic.

Especially when we _have_ power. Actually, I was just entertained and tortured by apcupsd for Windows in slave mode. The entertainment came in the form of config file manipulation and watching apcupsd actually work. The torture was caused by apcupsd breaking Cygwin. Do _not_ following the instructions for installing apcupsd if Cygwin is already installed! Trust me. (I have the secret recipe if you want it.)

Two PCs are now protected by one UPS. During power loss, the UPS will tell the Linux box about the problem. The Linux box will then relay the message to the Windows box through the network. Both will shutdown in sequence leaving only the phone system running.

Yeah, this _is_ fun.