Paul on 24 Aug 2004 04:06:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VoIP update

Ed Martin wrote:

I signed up for packet 8 (www.packet8.net <http://www.packet8.net/>) it’s not the cheapest ($19.99) but it had a lot of good features that where good. Installing it was a breeze, I was dialing out Ten minutes after I opened the box (prob could do it in 5) After that I was supposed to receive an email with my new phone number… **The fog rolls in** … Well I never got it. I figured after a half hr I was not going to so I called. No answer so I had to leave a message with a phone receptionist (which was a bit resistant to doing this) no return call.

The next day I emailed, no return email. The following day was a Sunday.. wasn’t even going to waste the oxygen in my blood to try. Monday I called again… ten minutes on hold what do I get… phone attendant. Left message blab la bla… 2 hrs pass, I call again. OMG I got a human! He informs me that no numbers are available for my exchange (who really cares) **I bet this is why they did not issue and automatic phone number the system didn’t know what to do without a number so it kicked it back for review and no one reviewed it** So “Joe” issued me a phone number after 30 seconds and I was done.

Documentation? What documentation? You need to know how this works? Why? The blindness of this whole thing stinks! If I was not a technician I would have thrown my hands up in disgust! The documentation on hand STINKS! I could get R rated over this fact alone. Someone with ½ a mind needs to go in and document this company and process. The documetation written by someone who knows what they are doing and it shows. Give it to a novice and have them do it, I’ll bet your tech support will be clogged. (the tech support is next to impossible to get hold of) If I was a novice I’d be spending Ten bucks to send it back.

Over all,

As usual with any service you buy on the net, it’s all good until you need service. In some cases like mine you need service (I could not give myself a phone number) Other than the phone number issue all has worked well. I understand that if you hit your internet hard it could distort it. I personally crash tested this and had no ill effects.

On a 1-10 scale

Service is a = 1 (the only thing saving this “1” rating is MY persistence)

Quality of service = 9

Ease of setup = 8 ( Documentation again allows for no mistakes or trouble shooting)

Customer satisfaction = better than verizon

~Ed

If you want to switch to Vonage, let me know. I could refer you and both of us would get a one-month credit. Vonage phone support has been good. I called to port my number. I never did get a e-mail reply about port forwarding not working on the VoIP box. That's one strike against e-mail support. (I could contact Motorola about the port forwarding issue, but I don't feel that I've analyzed the problem enough my self.)

Vonage issues, or you can buy, a Motorola VoIP which is documented by Motorola. I have found Vonage's documentation to be good, too.

Oh, how much does Packet 8 cost, total, including taxes??