Ed Martin on 28 Aug 2004 14:41:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] OT: gmail invites available.

I use multiple accounts one specific for signing up for stuff on the web and
one for business. Also I NEVER post my actual email address on web sites I
make. I make and EMAIL link and hyperlink it to my email address.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Art Alexion
Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2004 10:31 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] OT: gmail invites available.

Rebecca Ore wrote:

> On Friday, August 27, 2004, at 04:06 PM, Walt Mankowski wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 03:01:26PM -0400, Rebecca Ore wrote:
>>
>>> The accounts accumulate spam at an absolutely amazing rate, so either
>>> they're getting dictionary attacks or Google has a searchable database
>>> of mailing addresses.
>>

>> Interesting.  I haven't gotten a single spam to my gmail account since
>> I opened it on July 7.  My username is just 6 letters but isn't in the
>> dictionary.  I haven't sent or received anything to it since I signed
>> up.  Maybe that has something to do with it.
>>

> It's fundamentally the same address as this, and this doesn't get
> anything remotely like the spam the gmail account gives.  So spammers
> are using $name.$name dictionary attacks or some of the addresses have
> been leaked.
>
> The spam filters catch most of it, but I'd think that Google should
> have some way to block directory attacks (I used to get them on my
> machine when I ran a server and would block IPs that tried them, and
> also had finger and vrfy disabled).

Rebecca,

I have literally gotten 2 pieces of spam on this Verizon account since I
opened it on June 18th.  On the other hand, my alexion.com account (10
years old) gets spam as 80-90% of the daily intake.  Verizon is
aggressive to the point of being annoying in terms of spam blocking as
was discussed on this list.  Could it be that you are just used to an
unusually low spam rate?

I was thinking of using my account for list mail -- stuff with low
privacy concerns anyway -- maybe use it to search threads that didn't
interest me when posted, but become relevant in the future.  That could
be a problem, though, if I am archiving a lot of spam.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for
alarm.
Info @

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c