Jeff McAdams on 30 Aug 2004 12:07:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Globbing and Grabbing

Paul wrote:
> How would one tell a utility like wget, curl, or WinHTTrack to grab
> *all* mp3 files, for example, from a HTTP directory hidden by a blank
> "index.html" page?  I can grab individual files when I ask for them by
> name.  Otherwise, all I get is the blank "index.html" page.

Short of having either an index page or some other page that contains
links to the individual files, or being able to use something like a DAV
method like proplist or propget (or whatever the DAV property methods
are), you're pretty much screwed as any web client depends, in that
situation, on the web server to tell it what the filenames are available
to it, either through links that can be crawled, or the relevant DAV
properties.  If neither of those are available to you, you're pretty
much out of luck.

FWIW, I don't think wget or curl support any DAV-type of stuff yet in
any case.
--
Jeff McAdams
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest." -- anonymous