Stephen Gran on 31 Aug 2004 17:47:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Adding a new HD

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 12:53:00PM -0400, Art Alexion said:
> I am adding a new (additional) hard drive.  My current HD has a simple
> ext3 partitioning: (/, /boot, & /swap).  I want to move /home to the new
> drive as well as installing a new distro.
>
> Can I just do a
>
>    mkdir /newhome

Better might be:
mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt
mv /home/* /mnt
umount /mnt
mount /dev/hdc1 /home

(for whatever partition)

> Or is there something I should be doing with dd?

Only if the partitions are exactly the same size, otherwise you lose
some extra space.

> Or should I install the new distro to the new HD and then just move the
> existing /home files to /home on the new distro?  I am assuming no major
> conflict in sharing home among the two distros as long as it is in its
> own partition.

Just keep uid -> username mappings intact, otherwise strange things can
happen.

> I feel like I am missing something critical.
|  Stephen Gran                  | A large number of installed systems     |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | work by fiat.  That is, they work by    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | being declared to work.   -- Anatol     |
|  			         | Holt                                    |