Ron Mansolino on 8 Sep 2004 17:58:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] weird mozilla spam issue

PaulNM said...

> Art Alexion wrote:
> > I use mozilla (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7)
> > Gecko/20040514) for my MUA.
> >
> > I have noticed that some spam -- that isn't caught by the filter -- gets
> > automatically marked as read.  This is advertising mail, not viral
> > vectors.  Have the spammers figured out some protocol that does this, or
> > has anyone heard about this as a mozilla problem?
> >

> Whoa- Me too.
> I use thunderbird 0.7.3 and noticed that on occasion. I haven't gotten
> around to checking any bts yet, and I'm on my way out the door, so I'll
> check later.  It occurs to me that I should have saved them and checked
> their headers.

just out of curiosity, what happens when incoming mail has a UIDL of an
existing message? (I'm under the impression that the pop daemon puts the
UIDL there and I've been procmailing it if I see it, I see a lot of
spammers (especially blank-message spam) all have the same string.