Aaron Crosman on 8 Sep 2004 20:01:03 -0000

[PLUG] OT: Archiving Web Sites

I don't know if anyone out there has experience creating archival copies
of web sites, but I'm working with my organization's archivists to
improve what they store from our site.  Unlike a normal backup, the goal
isn't so that I could quickly recover if I lost a machine, rather that
someone in the distant future (or at least 15-20 years out when they
redo all this) is able to recreate the user experience as best as
possible.

I've done some searching on the web, and most of what I found is
targeted at the archivists, and explaining to them the importance of
saving this information, but supplies little in terms of technical
guidelines.  I know there are places out there working on and I don't
want to reinvent the wheel, actually if I knew what wheel everyone else
was using I'd be happy to be a conformist (seems like a good thing when
working in Archives).

So anyone with experience or connections with archivists with
experiences (the ones here still request everything on paper, which
doesn't work well with dynamic websites) please chime in.

Aaron