eric on 9 Sep 2004 11:43:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Hard drive crash - recovery

Quoting sean finney <seanius@seanius.net>:
> hi eric,
>
> On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 07:14:30PM -0400, eric@lucii.dnsalias.org wrote:
> > Can anybody point me to some useful sites and/or tools for trying to
> > recover this?
>
> of course, it goes without saying it's best to assume the data is
> permanently lost forever.  that way, if you do get it back, it's
> a pleasant surprise :)

Agreed - although hope springs eternal :-P

> the first thing i would do if you can still dd off of the disk is
> retry with a program called dd_rescue.  there's an option you can
> pass to tell it to fill in the output with zeros blocks that were
> unreadable in the input, which might be important to keep
> block offsets consistant (it'll probably still corrupt some
> inodes, but probably more likely to be successful).  also, when it detects
> errors, it shrinks the default block size which hopefully will minimize
> and isolate the unreadable areas on the disk.

I'm downloading now - thanks!

> that failing, in the past i've the coroner's toolkit / lazarus to
> bring data back from the dead in similar situations (though this
> was admittedly with ext2/3, ymmv with reiserfs).  be warned, you'll

Yes, reiserfs is a problem.  I know, for example, that ext2/3 keeps
copies of a certain table at various locations so if the first one
gets munged it can be replaced with one of the later ones.  I have
no such information for reiser yet.

> need a lot of time and disk space for that.  in my particular
> situation, i used tct/lazarus to find the blocks where the files
> i wanted started, and then wrote a small c program to read the data[1].
>

> hth
> 	sean

Yes, thanks for the help!

Eric