eric@lucii.org on 10 Sep 2004 22:29:02 -0000

[PLUG] corrupt jpeg

I have two identical jpeg files that are *not quite* identical :-)

The issue is that I've seen this kind of corruption before with
some of my jpeg files.  Here are the images:

  http://www.lucii.org/eric/Now-Is-Calling-1.original.jpg
  http://www.lucii.org/eric/Now-Is-Calling-1.entropy.jpg

These are from a package called "Propaganda" that I happened
to have two copies of on the same hard drive (no, not that one!)
The corruptions occur in several of the images in one directory
tree - but not the other

Using od -h and sdiff, I've found the difference is a single
byte: (don't ask me which is which)  :-)

0063060 ea55 29fd f004 83c0 3fb2 f93a 899e f529
0063060 ea55 29fd f004 83c0 3fb2 f93a 899e 9529
                                           ^

What concerns me is how it happens and what intrigues me is
if there is a way to fix it :-)

As usual, google searches return lots of links for software that
I can buy.  Most, if not all of it does not solve this problem.

Has anyone seen this before or have any thoughts on how to
deal with it?

Eric
--
#  Eric Lucas
#     "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth