on 10 Sep 2004 22:29:02 -0000

[PLUG] corrupt jpeg

I have two identical jpeg files that are *not quite* identical :-)

The issue is that I've seen this kind of corruption before with
some of my jpeg files.  Here are the images:

These are from a package called "Propaganda" that I happened
to have two copies of on the same hard drive (no, not that one!)
The corruptions occur in several of the images in one directory
tree - but not the other

Using od -h and sdiff, I've found the difference is a single
byte: (don't ask me which is which)  :-)

0063060 ea55 29fd f004 83c0 3fb2 f93a 899e f529
0063060 ea55 29fd f004 83c0 3fb2 f93a 899e 9529

What concerns me is how it happens and what intrigues me is
if there is a way to fix it :-)

As usual, google searches return lots of links for software that
I can buy.  Most, if not all of it does not solve this problem.

Has anyone seen this before or have any thoughts on how to
deal with it?

#  Eric Lucas
#     "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth
#      And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings...
#                             -- John Gillespie Magee Jr.