Ron Mansolino on 12 Sep 2004 22:33:02 -0000

[PLUG] Religious Questions

The postal fairies left a spindle of cd-rs under my mailbox, so I've
been d/ling Fedora core 2. (3Mps from duke.edu-> Comcast :)

So I need to make some decisions. I assume I'll have to pick window
management stuff. I've never been lucky with FreeBSD; aside from X
and Netscape I don't have a lot of experience with all the GUI stuff.
I'm mostly interested in learning things I'll need to support in the
workplace, so I'm curious as to what is used in corporate deployments.
(It seems that the clueful people prefer Debian, but I see Red Hat
more often when a job announcement mentions a specific distribution).

What about firewall/security packages? My windows pc is pretty secure,
but I'd rather put it behind something so I don't have to worry so much.
I've been lucky with tcpwrappers so far, but I should learn proper proxy,
firewall & all of that. Again, what am I likely to run into out in the field?

About mail: I'm familiar with sendmail and qmail, but I'd like to check out
spamassassin, which one is better at integrating with that?

Also, has anyone played with this: http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
It looks like it's got all the audio/midi stuff I would want to install in
one package. I can't get the hang of writing music with a mouse, but for some
odd reason, scripting seems like the way to go for some things. *shrug*

What else should I look out for (or beware of)?

thanks
--
Ron Mansolino   RMsolino@netaxs.com   http://www.netaxs.com/~rmsolino/