Jeff Abrahamson on 16 Sep 2004 15:20:03 -0000

[PLUG] charset encodings

I have LANG=en_US.  I run mutt.  I receive an email with

in French with the following MIME header

The mail is readable, but not pretty: every accented character is
replaced by several lines of garbage.  The From: line is readable.

If I restart mutt as

    LANG=fr_FR.utf8 mutt

The From: line is garbled (c-cedilla in the person's name) and the
text of the email is still garbled.

Anyone know a way around this sort of thing?  I'm willing to believe
Outlook is not respecting standards, but it must surely be possible to
modify the body on display to make it readable.

I may just write a program to do this, but I'm hoping there's an
easier way that will handle things I haven't thought of yet rather
than require me to update my program when I get some new encoding I
haven't seen yet.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20