Stephen Gran on 17 Sep 2004 01:20:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] exim4 system_aliases and pipe_transport

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 08:00:39PM -0500, Greg Lopp said:
> I'm trying to get issue-tracker (issue-tracker.org) to read and parse
> email.  The maintainers say this is as simple aas adding
> "issue-tracker: |/var/www/html/issue-tracker/parser" to /etc/aliases.
> I called newaliases, but exim4 is still unhappy about something.

newaliases is a noop for exim - don't waste the keystrokes :)

> It keeps saying 1C7sbL-0000Hj-5y ==
> |/var/www/html/issue-tracker/parser <issue-tracker@snippet>
> R=system_aliases defer (-30): pipe_transport unset in system_aliases
> router

It's trying to be clear :)  You don't have a pipe_transport defined in
your system_aliases router.

My system_aliases router looks like:

system_aliases:
  debug_print = "R: system_aliases for $local_part@$domain"
  driver = redirect
  domains = +local_domains
  allow_fail
  allow_defer
  data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/aliases}}
  file_transport = address_file
# pipe_transport = address_pipe
# directory_transport = address_directory

Yours probably looks something like that.  See how pipe_transport is
commented?  That means you don't have a transport defined for pipes,
so exim doesn't know how you want to handle them.  Uncomment that
pipe_transport line, and make sure you actually have a pipe_transport
(if not, write back and I'll send you mine), and reload exim.

> If I had copious free time, I'd figure out what this means, but I
> don't.  Can one of the list's kind exim experts explain what I need to
> do to this relatively recent debian testing install for this to work?

Not much, hopefully.
|  Stephen Gran                  | When I was 16, I thought there was no   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | hope for my father.  By the time I was  |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | 20, he had made great improvement.      |