Walt Mankowski on 27 Sep 2004 12:31:02 -0000

[PLUG] Google Talk at UPenn, 3 PM Tuesday

Sorry for the short notice and the early starting time, but if you can
make it, this sounds like it will be a great talk.

Levine Hall, by the way, is Penn's shiny new Computer Science
building.  It's somewhat hidden between 33rd St., 34th St., Walnut
St., and Locust Walk.

From: jackie@central.cis.upenn.edu (Jackie Caliman)
Newsgroups: upenn.cis.general,upenn.seas.dp,upenn.cse.undergrads
Subject: Google Talk
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:46:32 +0000 (UTC)

Fall 2004 CIS Colloquia Series
Dept. of Computer & Information Science is honored to present ...

Craig Nevill-Manning,
New York Engineering Director, Google

Lecture: Tuesday, September 28, 2004
Where:   Wu & Chen Auditorium, Rm 101 Levine Hall
Time:    3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Title: Finding needles in a 20 TB haystack,  200 million times per day.

Google faces two large technical challenges: ensuring that our search
results are as relevant as possible, and serving hundreds of millions
of queries in a fraction of a second at a reasonable cost. To solve the
first problem, we perform an offline matrix computation to produce
PageRank, a query independent measure of page reputation, and combine
it with more traditional query-specific scoring. To solve the distributed
computing problem, we use tens of thousands of commodity PCs and highly
fault-tolerant software. I will discuss some details of these solutions,
and also share some interesting statistical tidbits about search and the

For more information about Graig please visit his web site: