Malcolm J Harwood on 27 Sep 2004 22:55:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] TV tuner cards

On Monday 27 September 2004 04:37 pm, Gregson Helledy wrote:

> I'm thinking I might like to have a TV tuner in my PC, but
> know nothing about them.  Do they work well under linux,

Most of them do, some of them don't. It's always a good idea to check driver
availability for the specific card you are looking at.

The quality of image is generally not great (TV resolution is very low, and
displaying it on a standard monitor makes this more obvious).

> are there drivers for my 2.4.18 kernel,

There should be brooktree drivers built in (most distros will probably have
them availble as modules already - I know mandrake above 9.x autodetected the
one I have, don't have experience with anything else to comment).

> what app do I use, what's a good model to buy?

I bought mine a couple of years ago, but at that point the ATI cards were
reasonable (and used the brooktree chipset).

--
"Ever had a long talk with ambassador Delenn, Commander?"
"Yes, from time to time. Why?"