Stephen Gran on 29 Sep 2004 04:19:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Mutt, Mozilla and missing files

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 11:05:47PM -0400, eric@lucii.org said:
> I've been using w3m as a text based browser inside of Mutt
> (Thanks for that tip, Gabe!)  However, I like to browse further
> from the email's url and have become habituated to using a tabbed browser
> like firefox/Mozilla.  Also, w3m ties up my mutt session so I have to
> quit browsing to continue reading email.  I'd like a browser that
> would "spawn" off a new tab or window when I open an html attachment.
>
> Unfortunately for me, I cannot get either Mozilla or Firefox to work with Mutt.
>
> For w3m, I have a .mailcap entry that looks like this:
>
> text/html; /usr/bin/w3m -o display_image=false \
>                         -o frame=true \
>                         -o confirm_qq=false \
>                         -o close_tab_back=true -T text\/html %s
>
> All I can muster for Mozilla is this and it never works:
> text/html; /usr/bin/mozilla "file:///%s"
>
> It always complains that it cannot find the file /tmp/mutt<random string>
>
> Anybody else use a separate browser with Mutt?  If so, how do you do it?

I have this in my /etc/mailcap:
text/html; /usr/bin/mozilla '%s'; description=HTML Text; test=test -n "$DISPLAY";  nametemplate=%s.html
(should be single line, may wrap poorly)

but to actually spawn mozilla for html mail, I have to hit V to view the
parts of the email and then scroll down to the html part and hit enter.

If you just want to follow the links in an email (rather than read html
formatted email in a browser), use urlview.  By default, mutt maps it to
ctl-b here, and it presents you with a list of URL's in the email.
Scroll down to the one you want, and it launches the appropriate mailcap
entry.
|  Stephen Gran                  | "It's kind of fun to do the             |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | impossible."   -- Walt Disney           |