Marc Zucchelli on 2 Oct 2004 13:25:03 -0000

[PLUG] what to do when a websites traffic exceeds servers capacity?

There is round robin DNS, I understand that, not 100%
sure on what load balancing and clustering entail.
But I do understand that all of these involve sending
traffic to multiple servers, 3 servers can do more
than one.

What happens when there is a database involved.  If we
have 3 servers, and 3 databases, they are all going to
contain differently information very quickly, that is
bad, how do you load balance/cluster, or whatever, a
database when it needs it?  Is it a rare case when it
does?