mmalten on 8 Oct 2004 13:20:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] off-topic: SAS/SPSS/SQL training worth it?

If you're the kind of person (like me) who can learn effectively without
formal training and you have access to a working SAS installation I'd
save my money and learn from the online documentation and
experimentation.  The idea of giving SAS $2700 gives me the
heebie-geebies, but thats just me.

Agreed, I know if I had a tutorial at home, I could learn it, but I see a double whammy.

a) I don't have the access. I specificially looked up SAS on Freshmeat & Sourceforge.

b) I suspect if I had a piece of paper saying "Mitch learned this" it would go a long way. Brainbench offers certification (?) for SPSS and SQL. Does anyone know how Brainbench is viewed?

My opinion of SAS itself: It's a powerful program and has a lot of advanced functions available (which is good if you have use for them), but the SAS language was designed back in the 60s/70s mainframe days. While they've added stuff since then, the language really shows its old age. All variables must be 8 characters or less. The statement for hard coding records of data is the "cards" statement (referring to punch cards). SAS has a GUI but it is a complete piece of %^&*#. I never used the GUI except to access the online documentation.

Since most scientists cling to C or Matlab, I suspected that said something about SAS.

Well that's my 2 cents on SAS.

If I get to a PLUG meeting, I'll give you a nickel. You've been worth it.

Mitch