George Gallen on 12 Oct 2004 13:21:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] OT: Large Wireless Network on the Cheap

Title: RE: [PLUG] OT: Large Wireless Network on the Cheap

>> > I bought a wireless router and my daughter compains that
>she cannot see
>> > the shared drive on the server or the printer.  I want to
>replace it with
>> > a wireless access point but don't want to invite "the
>neighbors" in.

My problem I just don't understand. I can access network neighborhood
see the other computers, and their shares, but then when I try to
access one of the shares, it says the share doesn't exist, or it will
lock up after a minute of access. This happens with both machines
on the LAN side with 192.168 #'s. I thought it was a matter of the
WINS server getting confused (an XP machine). I'm going to try first
hardcoding IP assignments based on MAC addresses, thinking possibly
that the IP may have changed, but whenever I check, it's the same.
I'm working on getting a RH machine into the works as a WINS server.

Right now, I'm working on wiring my house, including being able
to re-route my cable modem (last stage).

George