George Theall on 13 Oct 2004 13:38:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] USB booting

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 09:03:12AM -0400, Doug Crompton wrote:

> Has anyone done USB key booting of Damn Small Linux or a derivative?

I have been using RUNT, <http://www.ncsu.edu/project/runt/>, with my
thumbdrive .  It's based on Slackware / Zipslack so it's not a
derivative, but I imagine the boot from USB functionality is similar.
Also, I actually use lilo to give me the option of using the device as
either a boot floppy, using a kernel from my hard disk, or booting into
RUNT from the thumbdrive.

> have a CD boot, latest version DSL, that works fine but I am having
> trouble finding (clear) info on the USB boot. There is a 'copy to USB
> device' in the tools menu of DSL but it does not seems to work.

What exactly doesn't seem to work -- the "copy to USB device" function
or USB booting in general? In other words, have you verified with
something like dd whether the MBR is being updated?

George
--
theall@tifaware.com