Michael C. Toren on 16 Oct 2004 01:09:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] DNS problem

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 05:46:40PM -0700, Jon Nelson wrote:
> I recently moved my office and started using my own
> DNS servers.  Since the move I can't receive mail at
> quincy@linuxnotes.net.  The errors the senders are
> getting are:
>
>     Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; Name service error for
>
>     name=linuxnotes.net type=A:
>     Host found but no data record of requested type

It looks like you're missing MX (mail exchange) records in the zonefile
for your linuxnotes.net domain.  For example, netisland.net has the
following MX records defined:

	[mct@ellesmere ~]$ host -t mx netisland.net | sort -n
	netisland.net mail is handled by 0 mail.netisland.net.
	netisland.net mail is handled by 10 mailq1.netisland.net.
	netisland.net mail is handled by 10 mailq2.netisland.net.
	netisland.net mail is handled by 10 mailq3.netisland.net.

This indicates that the primary mail server (the one with the lowest MX
value) is mail.netisland.net.  It also indicates that the servers mailq1,
mail2, and mailq3.netisland.net are backup MX servers, which will accept
and queue mail for netisland.net in the event a sending server is unable
to reach the primary MX.

If an MX record is omitted for a domain, a sending mail server will then
check if an A record has been defined, and if so will attempt to contact
the given IP address to delivery the message.  If neither an MX or A
record are defined, it isn't possible to receive mail.

<http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO-5.html> speaks about MX records
briefly, and may be worth your time to review.

> I noticed that I didn't have an 'A' record for
> linuxnotes.net listed in a dig query.  I added:
>
>     @            IN A    66.33.243.2
>
> I now have an 'A' record in a local dig query but not
> from the remote location.  Do I have to wait for this
> change to propagate?

The two authoritative nameservers for linuxnotes.net I see in the root
servers are dns1 and dns2.linuxnotes.net, however dns1 doesn't appear
to know anything about the linuxnotes.net domain.  dns2 is answering
authoritatively, but it isn't returning an A record.

HTH,
-mct

--
perl -e'$u="\4\5\6";sub H{8*($_[1]%79)+($_[0]%8)}sub G{vec$u,H(@_),1}sub S{vec