Paul on 16 Oct 2004 01:40:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] DNS problem

Michael C. Toren wrote:

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 09:17:43PM -0400, Paul wrote:

Yes, it takes time to propagate to other DNS servers. Maybe two days.

The maximum amount of time it will take is the value of the old TTL, which in this case appears to be 3600 seconds, or one hour:

   [mct@ellesmere ~]$ dig @dns2.linuxnotes.net linuxnotes.net soa +short
   dns1.linuxnotes.net. named.linuxnotes.net. 1 10800 3600 604800 3600

Additionally, it will only take this long for nameservers which you
previously served information to.  If a nameserver is attempting to
resolve linuxnotes.net for the first time, the delay doesn't apply.

Oh, I think I've mixed up changing a record with changing servers.