Walt Mankowski on 4 Nov 2004 14:53:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [marsee@oreilly.com: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, November 3]

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 12:53:19AM -0500, Paul wrote:
> I don't want to be rude, but I didn't subscribe to the O'Reilly
> newsletter.  So this is almost like spam to me.

There was some discussion of this when I first started forwarding
these newsletters to the list.  I can't find it in the archives, so I
think it must have been at one of the meetings.  At the time most
people seemed to be generally in favor of it, or at least not
violently opposed to the idea.

In all the months I've been forwarding them to the list you're the
only person who's complained about it.  Maybe everyone else loves
reading them, or maybe there's a silent majority who just grumble each
time they see these messages and gnash their teeth while they delete
them.  I don't know.  If people don't want to read them, I can very
easily stop forwarding them.

I will add a few points:

* O'Reilly has been a big supporter of Linux and Open Source.

* They've provided free review copies of books for several people in
  the group.  (And please let me know when you've finished your
  reviews. :)

* Marsee's newsletters always have the same subject.  If you don't
  want to see them, you can easily remove them with your favorite mail
  filtering program.

Walt