eric@lucii.org on 17 Nov 2004 23:00:05 -0000

[PLUG] TightVNC give me some insight into a freeze...

I've been having an occasional problem with my main Linux workstation.  It
appears to freeze and I have to reboot to get it operational again.  This
happens rarely (once or twice a week) but is _real_ annoying.  Today, I
noticed that when it "froze" the mouse still worked.  Now, since the
keyboard is dead, I cannot "ctrl-alt-del", "ctrl-alt-backspace" or even
"ctrl-alt-FX" to a VC and kill off X.  This time, I remembered I had a VNC
server running so I connected to it from my laptop.  Violia!  it worked!

I was able to kill X (sudo kill -9 pid) and log back in to the system.

I'm now contemplating 2 things:

1. why it freezes.  I always seem to be running Firefox so perhaps it's
contributing?  It's a new video card (BFG Tech with Nvidia chip) so perhaps
that's it.  This is a pain.

2. What can I examine from the VNC session and see why a process is "hung"?
I have examined the /var/log/messages file and have not detected any
"smoking gun" entry.

Also, my VNC startup used twm which is hardly usable for a guy used to KDE.
This is funny since I cut my teeth on twm back in '94 or even earlier :-)
It was _real_ cool then :-)

I tried to get KDE running for my VNC in the past but found it conflicted
with the KDE running on the VC #7.  This time, I changed the last line of
the startup file from: "twm &" to: "blackbox &".  Wow.  Blackbox is nice.
Lightweight and quick.  I don't believe I'll use KDE on the VNC afterall.

Eric