eric@lucii.org on 18 Nov 2004 01:28:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Sharing home directories between two distros

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 07:13:23PM -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
> Two distros.  Assume compatible data and config formats.  One distro
> sets up the first user as 500:100, the other as 1000:1000.
>
> How to share things like mozilla directories (mail bookmarks, etc)
> without screwing one up?
>
> --
>
> _______________________________________
> Art Alexion

I tried this several years ago and had no end of trouble with different
versions and settings between distributions.  I've finally solved it on
a workstation by maintaining a separate partition that gets mounted the
same way in both distributions.  Then, even though you have separate
home directories, certain directies can be linked (soft link) to this
common directory.

An example:

           distro A                      distro B
   --------------------------      ------------------------
   /home/eric (/dev/hda5)          /home/eric  (/dev/hda6)  <- diff
   /home/common (/dev/hda7)        /home/common (/dev/hda7) <- same

 To keep Mozilla's files in sync, I move the desired .mozilla directory
from /home/eric/.mozilla to /home/common/.mozilla.

Then:
    ln -s /home/common/.mozilla /home/eric/.mozilla
for each distro.  Seems to work so far.
The same is true for your mail directories but you MUST be sure that the
mail program you use in each distro will not mess up the mail files for
the other.  Since email is so crucial, I'd recommend using the same
program and the same verison on each side.  That's what I do.

HTH

Eric
#   Eric Lucas