Stephen Gran on 20 Nov 2004 15:11:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Spamassassin 3.0.1

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 10:06:06PM -0500, Eugene Smiley said:
> I'm just curious if anyone has tried out Spamassassin 3.0.1 yet. I
> just saw that the devs have added plugins to it to check SPF and
> HashCash headers.

I have been using SA3 since it released.  3.0.1 has much better memory
management than 3.0.0, but I am still seeing SIGCHILD issues.  Not sure
if it's what you would call 'stable' yet, but it works for me.

> It seems from this article
> (http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/09/09/spamassassin.html)
> that the minor upgrade issues revolve around changes to command line
> options and changes to prefs file config names.

And also bayes db format - see the UPGRADE instructions for details, but
basically, if you want to retain all of your bayes info, you have to
dump it out and add it back in.  Blech.

> Since I'm relatively new to Debian, how hard it is to try upgrading
> Spamassassin from 2.64-1 on 'testing' to the 3.0.1 from 'unstable'.

Trivial.  Edit /etc/apt/sources.list, add a line for unstable.  apt-get
update; apt-get install spamassassin.  Edit /etc/apt/sources.list,
remove line for unstable.  apt-get update.

Or wait a week or so - the rc bugs are closed, and it will move into
testing relatively shortly.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Know what I hate most?  Rhetorical      |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | questions.   -- Henry N. Camp           |