Malcolm J Harwood on 2 Dec 2004 21:59:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: DSL she no go...

On Thursday 2 December 2004 10:10 am, Doug Crompton wrote:

> Question... They assigned me an IP address. It will always be the same BUT
> it will be DHCP assigned and linked to the MAC address. Technically this
> is not the same as a static IP but functionally it should be the same?????

It is.

> I am running servers and need a stable IP.

I've been running servers off my line for a couple of years now. The IPs are
stable. The only problems I've had have been routing tables going screwy
intermittently, which having a dhcp client daemon (I'm using pump atm)
solves. I think someone mentioned here that it may have been caused by
Verizon messing in the CO.

> BTW... DCA is doing this for $44/month. Verizon wanted $80 for one static
> IP and in the end they claimed they could not do it. Is Verizon just
> incredibly stupid or am I missing something here!

No, Verizon is just thinks that you are stupid and will pay them the extra
without checking around.

--
They were once known as angels from the sky and heaven
But now they are known as devils, demons, alien monsters