Stephen Gran on 2 Dec 2004 23:03:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: DSL she no go...

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 10:10:52AM -0500, Doug Crompton said:
> Just an update... It looks like DCA is moving forward on my DSL. Surprise,
> surprise! I am awaiting my install kit.

Very good.

> Question... They assigned me an IP address. It will always be the same BUT
> it will be DHCP assigned and linked to the MAC address. Technically this
> is not the same as a static IP but functionally it should be the same?????
> I am running servers and need a stable IP. They later will assign up to 4
> additional IP's as part of the package to other MAC addresses if needed.

Yes, this is exactly my set up here, for my second IP at least - my first
machine predates this arrangement, and in fact, I don't think it's
rebooted since the change, so it still has a static setup.  This whole
arrangement has to do with the line carrier and not dca.net, or at least
that's my understanding.  But, to answer your original question, the
machine that has a dhcp connection has not changed it's IP in the year
it's had this arrangement.  They will also supply correct reverse dns
for you if you wish.

> BTW... DCA is doing this for $44/month. Verizon wanted $80 for one static
> IP and in the end they claimed they could not do it. Is Verizon just
> incredibly stupid or am I missing something here!

I don't think you're missing anything.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Contemptuous lights flashed flashed     |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | across the computer's console. --       |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy        |