Stephen Gran on 8 Dec 2004 17:56:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] what could be broken?

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 12:21:15PM -0500, eric@lucii.org said:
> Anybody have any idea about how to fix this?
>
> I've recently noticed a strange behavior from my SuSE 9.1 system when I
> call on the pager, /usr/bin/less.
>
> Example:
>   [eric]$ less fetchmail/fetchmail.archive.001.gz
>   file: error while loading shared libraries: libmagic.so.1: cannot open
>   shared object file: No such file or directory

The linker (ld.so) cannot find libmagic.so.1, a shared library that less
needs to load at startup.

`ldd /usr/bin/less` will confirm both that libmagic.so.1 is referenced and
not found.  My guess is that Suse's dependency tracking is suboptimal - it
should not have allowed you to get in this situation in the first place.
However, I am fairly sure they should have shared library versions of
libmagic available.

On rereading this, it may also be possible that you are just missing a
symlink:

steve@gashuffer:~$ ll /usr/lib/libmagic.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 17 2004-12-06 18:39 /usr/lib/libmagic.so.1 -> libmagic.so.1.0.0

Do you have a libmagic.so.1.0.0 ?  If so, just (in the same directory)
link it as above.

> I do find libmagic.a and libmagic.la files but no libmagic.so.1 file.

These are for static linking at build time, and information for the
linker, respectively.  They are not shared libraries.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | "Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wabbit, Kill |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | the Wabbit!" -- Looney Tunes, "What's   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Opera Doc?" (1957, Chuck Jones)         |