sean finney on 9 Dec 2004 16:11:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Oracle to MySQL?

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 10:43:41AM -0500, Chris Mann wrote:
> I've got an interesting project I'm working on here. We've an Oracle
> database that holds our customer information. What I've been asked to
> investigate/do is see about being able to export some of the data in the
> oracle db and put it into a MySQL db. The MySQL db would be read only
> and used for querying only.

sounds like a logistical mess.

> I've thought about using an Oracle .dmp file, but it's rather large
> since it's a complete dump (about 40 gb or so). I'm not versed in oracle
> much, so I'm trying to find away to automate a method to have the oracle
> info imported into the MySQL system.

if you're serious about this, or at least want to give it a try, my
guess is that you want to put some triggers on the data you want to
replicate, and set up a system for synchronizing the data out to
the other db.

we have plans for doing something similar, keeping oracle data synched
to an ldap server which will be essentially read-only.  what we're going
to do is create an oracle table for uncommitted changes, and have
triggers on all the relevant tables that make a record of every
create/modify/delete in this synch-out table.  then we'll have a perl
script that periodically queries the synch-out table, commits any
request to the mysql database, removing it after success.

this is from what i can tell the least error prone method of keeping
the data in synch, but i'm still going to suggest you ponder whether
the effort would be worth it.

	sean