Pat Regan on 11 Dec 2004 01:57:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: what is the best way to bulk email 2 million opt inemail addresses?

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2004, at 1:18 AM, Pat Regan wrote:
>
> > I am paying 15 dollars a month for my internet server and that
> > includes 50
> > gig per month at much better than T1 speeds.  I could easily fit a few
> > of
> > these jobs per month into my bandwidth quota...  That makes each
> > individual email so cheap it may as well be free.  :)
>
> Two points:
>
> 1. Most spam is small in size.
>
> 2. 2 million emails is not really a lot.
>
> Having said that, your argument is akin to saying "I can take one punch
> to the face because it probably won't kill me". Spam will grow to fill
> whatever bandwidth and space allocation you give it. By the time you
> were to actually receive 2 million spam emails, you'd notice that it
> was a significant drain on your email infrastructure in terms of
> bandwidth, storage space, technical support and archiving.
> Sarbanes-Oxley now demands that some companies archive all
> communications, effectively making those companies pay for each piece
> of spam twice.
>
> As well, there is a fundamental omission in your logic above, in that,
> while you certainly have the bandwidth to receive all that mail, I
> would doubt that your obviously-shared server has a quota large enough
> to let you accumulate 8GB worth of spam (given real mail and whatever
> else you store on the Web, FTP, etc). Receiving that much spam is thus,
> in effect, a denial of service attack, preventing you from receiving
> legitimate mail. And even if you had a quota that big, would you want
> to have to sift through 2 million emails?

I must not have been clear enough in what I was saying, I apologise.  What
I meant was that SENDING 2 million emails has a very trivial cost.  I do
not wish to recieve 2 million emails every month :).  I was just had a
disagreement with the thought that sending spam has a cost.

Pat