Martin DiViaio on 11 Dec 2004 21:07:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Blocked outgoing ports

> Generally, for security reasons (and being a good netizen), you want to
> drop all outgoing traffic that's not explicitly allowed. Open outgoing
> ports that you need for critical services and that's it. In Linux, you
> can set the OUTPUT chain's policy to DROP and then make the first rule
> an ACCEPT on -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED. You should mirror
> that in the INPUT and FORWARD chains. Underneath those first ACCEPT
> rules you would accept whatever other traffic you wanted to come in, be
> forwarded or go out (in INPUT, FORWARD and OUTPUT, resp.).

Be carefull here, I've seen hack attempts that set the RELATED and/or
ESTABLISHED bits on a packet to bypass a firewall. The only thing that
saved me was the server that was being attacked had it's own firewall that
had all of it's allowed traffic explicitly defined.

I think that iptables supports internal connection tracking which is an
alternative to the --state check but is probably much more RAM intensive.