Doug Crompton on 14 Dec 2004 07:29:25 -0000

[PLUG] VOip

Anyone using commercial VOip? I was looking at the AT&T site. They claim
they need 90Kb Up/down BW/line/call. That really sounds excessive. What is
this super high fidelity phone connections! I would think they could get
by with a lot less then that even with overhead. Given a 3K voice channel
you should be able to sample at 12-16K, Add overhead and control.. so we
double that... 32K ... what the heck is the rest? I think verizon breaks a
T1 down into 23 voice channels / 1 control, each 48K. That always seemed
like a waste of BW to me.

Anyhow it might make sense to change a DSL lines analog voice number to
absolute minimum service and get one of these all inclusive digital voice
packages. You can get everything under the sun for $29 and there are many
less expensive packages. The difference is that there are no hidden
charges like wireline or wireless where they hit you for darn near 20% of
your bill in hidden costs.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *