George Gallen on 28 Dec 2004 15:48:08 -0000

[PLUG] what would cause the sticky bits to be set on files?

we recently had some write issues on some of the files in /tmp,
When I looked at them, both the sticky and other bit was set (rwt on ls for other).
There were quite a few of them.

I corrected it with chmod -R 777 /tmp, that reset all the files fine.

But I'm concerned how they were set in the first place.

Generally, our system is open internally only. With few people with shell access
so I don't feel someone was playing/hacking.

We are running RH 7.2 currently, upgrading isn't an issue at the moment.
This is something that has never come up before either.

George

George Gallen
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Accounting/Data Division
ggallen@slackinc.com
ph:856.848.1000 Ext 220

SLACK Incorporated - An innovative information, education and management company
http://www.slackinc.com