rekaye1005 on 2 Jan 2005 16:26:46 -0000

RE: [PLUG] content filtering

Definitely looking for Novell work.
I go back to Novell 2.15 !!! which was used in travel agencies,
Because they could only afford one computer, and they could have both
server and workstation.

At Bell Atlantic BSS (defunct), I developed a Novell curriculum
3.x, just released 4.x) to train old IBM mainframe types to support
the Sabre reservation system contract. I also setup the labs, and taught
the classes.

I have had consulting assignments at many of the major Novell shops in
the Philadelphia tristate area to include PECO, Albert Einstein (worst
Novell setup), Morgan Lewis (absolute best), etc.

I have had a chance to work some with 6.5.
Same Novell ... a bunch of stuff you wont use, but some improvement in
the tools. We have been looking for that all in one management tool for
some time. NDS for NT just wasnt it! dirXML seems to hold some promise.

I currently work in a Microsoft 2000/2003 shop.
Actually, there is a lot of good stuff.
However, active directory is inferior to NDS.
The newly tested MCSE types are enamored by group policies.
It is probably easier to finish work on Einstein's unified field theory,
then debug a complicated group policy implementation.
Of course, they used to have Novell here.
But they hired a manager who was a MCSE.
Goodbye Novell.

I love Novell.
Microsoft was very cocky, thinking they could knock Novell out in a mano
a mano confrontation. Didnt work. But then they snuck in through the
back door with their applications, and they took the lead.
But Novell has hung in there.
They have some pretty sharp talent.
It is still the way to go for larger places where it is already
implemented.
It was like the IBM mainframe, not going anywhere, but not going away.
But I like their direction, jumping on the Linux bandwagon.
Microsoft is not so cocky now!
Of course, Linux products must remain free to cheap.

Well, as Dennis Miller used to say, back when he WAS funny,
"that's my opinion, I could be wrong"
Let me know if you hear of any Novell activity.

I am going to try to make my 1st plug meeting this week.
Interested in the LDAP discussion.
Perhaps I will see you there.

Happy New Year,

Ron Kaye