Adam Zion on 7 Jan 2005 17:27:29 -0000

[PLUG] Extremely cool stuff

I just purchased a new MP3 jukebox, the Rio Karma. One of my reasons for getting this was its advertised Linux compatibility. Here's how it works:

1) Plug the cradle into an Ethernet port. The Karma will either get an IP via DHCP or you can configure one statically.

2) Go to any PC and point a Web browser to the IP of the Karma. Yes, it has a built-in Web server, albeit a very minimal one.

3) Download the Rio Music Manager Lite Java applet (in .JAR format) from the Karma.

4) If you have a JVM on the system, run RMMLite w/the command line "java -jar rmmlite.jar"

	5) Manage files on the Karma.

It's a beautiful thing. Granted, RMMLite isn't as full-featured as the version for Windows, but it allows for nearly 100% functionality *w/o* requiring a Windows computer.

	Now, I can go entierely Windows-free if I feel like it.

--
Adam Zion, MCSE+I, Local Support Provider
Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics