mmalten on 10 Jan 2005 21:32:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] 2nd Annual "Business, meet Linux" Event?

Suggested titles:

*Microsoft functionality without Microsoft demands

Something that plays up how Linux still allows access to Word, Excel, etc. files but doesn't have the various issues that come up dealing with Microsoft products (memory hog programs, cost of upgrades.)

* What's the GPL got besides Mozilla and Firefox?

GPL software's gotten a boost because people are supporting Firefox and Mozilla as alternatives to Internet Explorer.  So show what other items are out there.

*What commercial websites use Linux already?

Easy enough to look up.  Get the idea across that Linux is already being used commercially.
Last March my company sponsored an event we dubbed "Business, meet Linux." It was an opportunity for area businesses to learn about Linux and OSS and what it could offer their business. We are thinking about holding it or something like it again. Last year we got a lot of Technical people, which was not our intended audience. This year we'd like to try to get more business people out and we are interested to see how to go about doing that.

I was wondering what members of this list thought, particularly:

- What presentations/topics would compel business people to attend?
- If you went last year what did you think? What could we do better?
- Would you or your business like to participate this year?

Thanks

--
W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC