Michael D. Bevilacqua on 11 Jan 2005 00:19:19 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Troubleshooting PATH problem

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 06:29:50PM -0500, Adam Zion wrote:
> Whenever I log into my linux workstation (using any user
> account, including root), I get the error: -bash: PATH:
> command not found.
>
> Clearly, there's something in a shared configuration file
> (I imagine /etc/bashrc) which is incorrect. But, since the
> error message doesn't tell me the line where it encounters
> the bad command, I'm having a hard time solving this.

Sounds like you have the right idea. Also, take a look at:

/etc/profile
~/.bashrc
~/.bash_profile

(where ~ is your home directory)

> Any thoughts? Is there a program which will parse a bashrc
> file for errors?

You can issue each line in bashrc or profile at the prompt
to see which returns an error. Most shells even let you copy
and paste entire files into the prompt.

--
Regards,

Michael D. Bevilacqua