Michael C. Toren on 13 Jan 2005 18:57:37 -0000

Re: [PLUG] eth card identification

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 01:14:20PM -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
> I don't know if it was a coincidence, but eth1 disappeared from my
> network configuration.  Now, I don't remember which card was eth1, and
> samba won't start.  what tool can I use to identify?

"ifconfig -a" will list each supported ethernet card in your system and
their associated hardware addresses, which should be unique unless you've
manually changed it.  Probably the easiest thing to do would be to boot
the machine with only one card inserted at a time in order to determine
which hardware address matches up with which physical card, and then to
label each card with a sharpie so that it's readable from the outside of
the box.

Another approach you could try would be to lookup the hardware vendor who
manufactured each MAC address at <http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/>.
This may be helpful if for example each card was manufactured by a different
company, and you can identify each company by looking at the outside of the
card.

HTH,
-mct

--