Art Clemons on 19 Jan 2005 20:59:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] sound issues

I've checked all that and volume is all the way up and
mute is unchecked, but still no sound.
Any other suggestions?

with some of the intel8x0 cards, if you are attempting to use the line in as the source, you have to mute the line in as surround switch. Also, any audio level above 48% and below 98% can also mute the intel8x0 implementation of alsa (the output gets no higher as far as I can tell @100% than at 48%). The one exception is the master volume control which seems to work properly, one day this little flaw is likely to be corrected. It's a pain finding the line in as surround switch with alsamixer, in fact I normally use the gnome audio control or kmix to set it if I have to. It took me a while to get my intel8x0 working but even working, it needs improvement i.e. don't expect the world's greatest fidelity no matter what was claimed.