Stephen Gran on 20 Jan 2005 03:56:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] vi question

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 06:33:48PM -0500, sean finney said:
> for the other vi users out there, i haven't been able to dig up
> a way to do this...
>

> say i have a line formatted something like this:
>
>  -- sean finney <seanius@debian.org>  Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:16:33 -0500
>
> is there an easy way to replace everything from wednesday on with
> the output of date -R?  that is, i'd like to do something like
>
> s/Wed.*/`date -R`/
>
> only, that doesn't work :(
>
> the only way i can think of doing this is to write a small script/alias
> that calls sed and date, but i'm hoping i've missed something...

I see doing it in two phases, although it may work in one ugly long one:

map <F3> :r!822-date^M
:ab -- sean finney <seanius@debian.org>  ^[<F3>^[

So to make the change you would type
dd
#c

Which is still too many characters - you could probably map all that to
one thing :)
|  Stephen Gran                  | The kind of danger people most enjoy is |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | the kind they can watch from a safe     |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | place.                                  |