Fred K Ollinger on 26 Jan 2005 17:50:55 -0000

Re: [PLUG] kernel 2.6 and /dev/psaux

> I just upgraded to kernel 2.6.8 from 2.4.27.  But now I can't use X.
> The issue is that /dev/mouse isn't a valid device.  Currently it
> points to /dev/psaux.
>
> Googling (in console-mode) I found that many people found that there
> troubles ended with
>
>     ln -s /dev/input/mice /dev/mouse
>
> But /dev/input does not exist on my machine.
>
> Any suggestions?

I do have /dev/input:

Try:

cd /dev && ./MAKEDEV input

It worked on my debian testing machine.

I have run kernel 2.6 on a machine w/o any mouse problems. The only thing
holding me back is sound. The new kernel "felt" faster, but on the laptop
that I use it on w/o X there are no big differences.

> A related issue is that I note that dist-upgrade now wants to install
> a new 2.4 kernel.  If I let it do that, I think it is going to want to
> modify the /vmlinuz* links, which would take me back to kernel 2.4
> next time I boot.  Any idea how to stop that from happening?

As per Walt's suggestion, just use a differing link as default in lilo.

I have something like:

/vmlinuz-default linked to my default kernel in /boot.

Fred