Stephen Gran on 26 Jan 2005 18:07:58 -0000

Re: [PLUG] kernel 2.6 and /dev/psaux

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 10:47:34AM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> I just upgraded to kernel 2.6.8 from 2.4.27.  But now I can't use X.
> The issue is that /dev/mouse isn't a valid device.  Currently it
> points to /dev/psaux.
>
> Googling (in console-mode) I found that many people found that there
> troubles ended with
>
>     ln -s /dev/input/mice /dev/mouse
>
> But /dev/input does not exist on my machine.
>
> Any suggestions?

modprobe psmouse should fix it.  If it does, add psmouse to /etc/modules

> A related issue is that I note that dist-upgrade now wants to install
> a new 2.4 kernel.  If I let it do that, I think it is going to want to
> modify the /vmlinuz* links, which would take me back to kernel 2.4
> next time I boot.  Any idea how to stop that from happening?

If it is an upgrade of the same kernel version (for instance, just a new
version of kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686) everything will be fine.  If it is
a different kernel-image, it will indeed overwrite your links.

For a 'let me manage my links, thank you' approach, take a look at
/etc/kernel-img.conf.  I don't know all the gory implementation details,
but I know that's where it's set.  I believe there's manpage for it as
well.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | "... an experienced, industrious,       |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | ambitious, and often quite often        |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | picturesque liar."   -- Mark Twain      |