Doug Crompton on 2 Feb 2005 18:38:29 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Spam Elimination

Just a note on the Spam Elimination progress here...

 I have been running 3 dnsbl's -  spamhaus, abuseat, and relay.orbs. In
addition I run  spamlist.org with my own added blocks in my access file. I
run a sendmail server.

I have gone from hundreds of spams a day to about 2-4 average. The ones
that do get through are mostly unblocked US based relays through comcast,
verizon, earthlink, etc. I report all of these cases to their spam abuse
mailboxes. Most US companies take spam seriously.

The nice thing is that these spams are rejected, not merely accepted and
filtered. I have most countries outside of the US blocked. I have no need
to get email from anywhere outside of the US and if I do I will whitelist
them individually.

I do have SpamAssassin running but it has little if any work to do.

I have one pop user at the moment and I have warned them about the
filtering in case they have a problem. They have not.

One thing that I do in the access file to make log reading easier is add a
note as to what rule caused the rejection. Like:

203             ERROR:"550 We don't accept mail from spammers (203)"

This access rule blocks all of 203.x.x.x - adding a Recv: rule with the
same IP would also block relays.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *