ChrisB. on 3 Feb 2005 15:16:34 -0000

RE: [PLUG] MySQL3 and Fedora Core 3

The only reason I am running mysql3 is because I did this entire install
using apt-get and it automagically gave me mysql3. It installed more then a
few components perfectly but I guess what we give up for automation is the
ability to focus on each install one at a time.

I will manually install mysql4 and give it a shot. Thanks for the info Joe,
Ill let you all know how it goes.

I need my MythTV up and running by Sunday so I can record the Eagles winning
their first Championship in 50 years!

Chris.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Kovach [mailto:joe@singlewire.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 10:13 AM
To: chris@chrisbovasso.com
Cc: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: RE: [PLUG] MySQL3 and Fedora Core 3

i don't think mysql3 has a TEMP TABLES permission.  that's why it's failing.
MYSQL 4 definitely does.

i'd give mysql4 a try.  did you mention why you're using 3?
i have and do run FC3 with mysql4 and SELINUX with no problems.
i like 4 because it defaults to InnoDB tables, and you don't have to mess
with
allocating space for them to set up.

Joe

Quoting "ChrisB." <chris@chrisbovasso.com>:

> Actually I left out a piece of the puzzle. I tried to run the mysql script
> that they offer but I kept getting syntax errors. So I tried to just type
in
> the commands manually (its only a few lines) and it errors on the line:
>
> 'TEMPORARY TABLES ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv@localhost IDENTIFIED BY
> "mythtv"'
>
> The interesting part is that I know the password fix for MySQL4 is to
> correct the password for the users using OLD_PASSWORD('newpasswd') but I
am
> not running MySQL4. Unless Myth is running a MySQL4 client?
>
> Argh...

List
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] MySQL3 and Fedora Core 3
>
> Chris B,
> did you 'flush privileges' in mysql?
> btw i always misspell privileges, so double check when you're typing it
> yourself.
>
> Joe
>

> Quoting "ChrisB." <chris@chrisbovasso.com>:
>
> > Everyone,
> >
> > So I bit the bullet on Tuesday and installed Fedora Core 3 for the first
> > time. I have never used a RedHat product before and I was very impressed
> at
> > how easy it was to install. Apt-get, yum and rpm are truly god sends. I
> have
> > to admit though that I felt very naked without my trusty ./configure at
my
> > side.
> >
> > But I digress, I am trying to build a MythTV box and everything seemed
> go
> > fine but I can not connect to the mysql service running. At first I
> thought
> > it was just a MythTV issue but I was unable to connect to the MySQL
> through
> > PHP as well. I keep getting the same error (see below) now I know that
> > MySQL4 has issues with user password authentication but I am using
MySQL3