Eric J. Roode on 3 Feb 2005 15:45:26 -0000

[PLUG] Keysigning: The Aftermath

   This message is for those who participated in the GPG keysigning
last night.  I'm sending it to the whole list because there are at
least a couple of participants whose email addresses I didn't get.
Everyone else may ignore this message.

   To participants: I hope you had fun and got the chance to meet
some new people -- I know I did!

   The instructions that follow are long, but don't let that daunt
you -- I tend to be verbose, and I want to explain each step in
detail.

   Okay, you all now have a bunch of slips of paper with other
people's fingerprints and email addresses.  And hopefully you have
verified each person's identity, so you're confident that nobody's
pulling a fast one.  :-)

   The next step is for you to download everyone's key from the
PLUG website:

http://www.phillylinux.org/keys/phillylinux.gpg

   You'll probably want to keep this in a separate file from your own
keyring -- unless you really want to import the key of every PLUG
member, past and present, who has added their key to the keyring!

   Next, for each person whose key you wish to sign, list that
person's fingerprint, and verify that it matches the fingerprint that
was handed to you by that person last night. THIS IS THE MOST
IMPORTANT STEP!  The most vulnerable point in public-key encryption
systems (such as GPG) is the electronic transmission of the public
keys.  Don't trust what you download from anywhere or receive in an
email; trust the paper that was given to you.

   To list a key's fingerprints, use the following command (assuming
you're using GPG. (If you're using PGP, consult your documentation,
because there are several variants of that program).  In place of
"WHO", use some portion of any one of the user's names or email
addresses, or use the hexadecimal key id, like 0x1E4CD1E8.

gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring ./phillylinux.gpg --fingerprint WHO

   For example, for historical reasons, I'm usually known as "sdn"
online.  To display the fingerprint of the key that you downloaded which
purports to be my key, do this:

gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring ./phillylinux.gpg --fingerprint sdn

   If the fingerprint matches, congratulations -- the odds that you
downloaded a fraudulent key are 1 in 2^128 :-)  If it doesn't, we have
a problem, and you should contact the PLUG list so we can see what's
going on.

   Now for the first optional step.  You now know that you hold the
key that is associated with the person whose identity you verified
last night.  What you don't know for certain is that that person
actually is associated with the email addresses that is claimed by the
key's IDs.  (Nothing stops me from claiming to be bgates@microsoft.com,
for example).  It's unlikely that someone would put a fake email
address on their gpg key (what would be the point?)  but it is
possible, so you may verify the email addresses as follows:

   Send a message to each of the key's email addresses.  The message
you send should be encrypted (so it can only be decrypted with that
key), and it should contain some random phrase, word, or question.
Nothing elaborate; you just need to verify that the recipient can
decrypt the message.  Something like "Hi, nice to meet you at the
keysigning.  Please send me an encrypted reply that contains the word
POTATOES, and I'll reply with your signed key.  Thanks!"  When you get
the proper reply, you're ready to sign.

   To do the actual signing, take the following steps.  Enter the
command

gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring ./phillylinux.gpg --edit-key WHO

Again, replace "WHO" with the identifier of the key you're signing.

   The above command puts you in the "key editor", and lists the user
IDs for that key.  Each one is numbered.  For each key that you want
to sign, type its number and hit enter.  An asterisk will be toggled
next to each number that you select.  Then type "sign" and hit enter.
You'll be prompted for your private key's password, since you're
performing a signing operation.  Then type "quit" to exit.

   Finally, export the key to a text file so you can mail it back to
its owner:

gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring ./phillylinux.gpg --armor
   --export WHO >WHO.key

(the above is one command-line, sorry for the wrapping)

   Here's the other optional step.  Now that you know that you have
the person's genuine public key, you may want to import it to your own
personal keyring.  If so, this is the command:

gpg --import WHO.key

where "WHO.key" is the file you created in the previous step.

   Now mail the key file to the owner at any one of the various email
addresses you verified.  Also, please email it to me (at any of my
addresses, but I'd prefer the gmail.com one), so I can add it to the
master copy of the PLUG keyring.  You should (of course) send the
email message signed and encrypted, since you now have established
secure two-way communications!

   And finally, thanks for participating!

Eric J. Roode                          eroode@transcontinentaldirect.com
Unix/Perl Developer, Transcontinental Direct           +1 (215) 965-1518
$_ = reverse sort $ / . r , qw p ekca lre uJ reh
ts p , map $ _ . $ " , qw e p h tona e and print