ChrisB. on 3 Feb 2005 20:57:30 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Basic Post-Install Config?

I know I always disable SSH login for root. Only allow a 'su' to it. I
always password protect MySQL and make it only accessible from localhost.

I like to run a network scanner at the new machine to see what, if anything,
I missed after the install.

I am sure there are more then a few other things most people do but those
two are ones I can think of right off the top of my head.

Chris.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of
jazzman@exdomain.org
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 2:28 PM
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List
Subject: [PLUG] Basic Post-Install Config?

This is probably a common question but always a relevant one.

Is there any "definitive" set of steps one should ALWAYS follow to tighten
up security on a linux box after a fresh install?

Now obviously that's going to depend on what you want to do with the box,
etc, so I'll give a little background.

A friend of mine is running a machine (as am I, actually) that is a linux
box that will host mail(smtp and imap), web, and ssh servers. Mysql will
also be running for the CMS we use, that really only needs to be
accessible from behind the firewall/router. Our comm lines (his is cable,
mine is dsl) go right from the modem to a hardware router/firewall which
then NATs our servers out to the world with a few ports forwarded (80, 25,
22, and the imap port... 143 i think?). All other ports are dropped at the
router.

So what is the best set of steps to tighten up a box? I've done a lot of
searching online for the best methods and it seems no two people agree,
which just causes a lot of confusion, so I'm hoping to at least stimulate
a discussion of what are the absolutely agreed up "you should always do
these" steps and maybe even a bunch of "not everyone does this, but I do"
steps.

Thanks in advance
Marc